My Education is so much more than letters and numbers. After the second weeks readings by Neil McDonald, Ian Robertson, and John Bullen I began to question where my Education sits on the Egerton Ryerson to Maria Montessori scale of education methods. Below are some examples of my education and how throughout my education my Egerton Ryerson experiences were limited. After pondering this, I realized my early education was not limited to the school classroom because the activities I was involved in were significant learning experiences. I learned a lot within the classroom, but find I gained more useful knowledge outside of it. Many opportunities arose from my after  school activities and many lessons learned moulded me to be who I am today.

My in school experiences:

After researching Maria Montessori and learning that her methods were a solution to the extinction of Kindergarten and a help for working parents, I wondered how my education would have changed for me and my family if there was no pre-school or kindergarten. I am child number 3 of 4, so pre-school was a huge help for my parents to be able to support our family. Not only was it a great learning experience, but it also gave my parents the opportunity to withhold their jobs and pay for half-day daycare rather than full-day. I met my good friends in pre-school and graduating from it was a milestone in my life. Looking back I see the real benefits of it and how we completely take advantage of having it. It makes me wonder what it must have been like without it… and also explains why we are progressing so fast-paced nowadays– because kids are so smart at an early age!

Pre-school Graduation. May 2001.

In my perspective, kindergarten is one of the most important years of elementary school. I have heard of many parents who hold their children back in this year because it is only from classroom experiences that they realize their child is not ready for school. This is a key component to ensure the success of children’s future education. If you start them off on a bad foot, or incapable of retaining or processing information you set them up for failure and a potentially traumatic experience. The benefits of kindergarten are proven, and the most prominent advantages include:

Improved social skills, better performance in grade school, improved attention spans, and enthusiasm for learning (Childventures, 2017).

Relationships are also built in this year, I met one of my best friends this year, and even my teacher and I still have a very good relationship. I remember doing A LOT of art projects, and my box of kindergarten take-homes speak to that. Looking back at my kindergarten experiences I appreciate it much more than before, it is an easily overlooked year of education but one of much importance.

First day of Elementary School 2002           Kindergarten Photo 2002

Poster of Grade 7 leadership activities, 2009.

In Grade 7 we had a leadership class. We went out into the community and helped out at many different shelters and organizations. We went to the homeless shelter and served lunch once a month and also did bottle drives to raise money to build a well in Uganda. This addition to my education was an incredible experience and something I still value and practise today. Serving and providing for the homeless holds a special place in my heart, I am always thankful I was exposed to the importance of it at an early age.

Last Day of Elementary School, 2009

-Won the Principals Award (Overall Excellence).

Grade 8, 2010.

My Grade 8 Textiles class taught me how to make the onzie I am wearing in this photo. They have foot covers and everything! Only one sewing needle through my thumb… it is all a learning experience!

Sewing is something not everyone knows how to do anymore, but is extremely useful in the real world. Not only does it save you money, but also a lot of time! It is a very practical and useful ability to have, it especially helped me in my dance years, sewing pointe shoes and any minor costume adjustments, I was able to fix on the spot.

Grade 8 Social Studies project, 2010.

Rather than doing an exam, our teacher made us do a final project to show our understanding. It was to do with the court and law systems in the 18th and 19th centuries Canada. Looking back at all these opportunities I had to show my understanding in ways other than tests and worksheets shows the assimilation of the Montessori Method and diversion from 19th century Ryerson methodologies.

Grade 9 Science, 2011.

On topic of Maria Montessori, I remembered a specific assignment I had to do in grade 8 science. We were learning about genetics and how chromosomes bind together to form particular genomes. We flipped pennies to determine certain X and Y chromosome and had to draw them on paper in accordance to their combination. An art project mixed with Science… it was an awesome experience and one that I still remember to this day! Science is often recognized as a sit, listen,be lectured class, but this year was not like that at all. We had many opportunities for hands on work and it really did help my learning because I am a tactile learner. This particular lesson shows progression from the education systems we learned about in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Highschool Cross Country Race, Quesnel B.C 2012

My love for running was put into practice through our school cross country team, it motivated me because I was representing my school and I was able to work different parts of my body. I used running as a cross train from dance so I could prevent injury. I learned how to run through this after school activity, it help my running times and it prevented injury, I wen through my whole dance career with no injuries! Forty or more hours a week in the dance studio, almost half of it on pointe, this seemed like a miracle that I left with no injuries. I am incredibly thankful though! Balancing running and dance taught me how to manage time and also kept me driven because I was often exhausted after every practise.

High school cross country also influenced me to run my first full marathon in July 2015 and gave me the opportunity to be on an Iceman team (a winter biathlon in Prince George).

Last Day of High School, 2013

High school was not my best if memories. I graduated a year early because I wanted to pursue a dance career, so my workload was very heavy. I never experienced a spare block or what it was like to hang out with friends after school because I was always busy with dance or cross-country running. This is not something I regret, but rather goes to show how dance was a huge part of my learning. I learned more useful knowledge from dance than in the public school system, which is not a criticism. This goes to show how education is not limited to the classroom, learning is all around us and opportunities always await. I built strong relationships in dance with other people as well as myself. My dance career taught me how to manage my time, work endless hours until I got hang of a routine, it taught me persistence, and to treat others with respect even when stressed. I cried a lot and wanted to quit more than once, but never did because I knew I loved it. Dancing also showed me how much I love working with children because I had the opportunity to teach them and now look what I want to do… teach children 🙂

My out of school educational/ learning experiences

Some photos and descriptions of my dance years are presented below.

June, 2000. My very first dance recital. This shows how parents are the ultimate deciders in what their children do, but is also an example for how children end up being the ultimate deciders of what they do. My parents enrolled me in dance, but I ended up choosing to love it. It is inevitable parents have to choose the initial path for children; kids are not rational. If parents stopped taking charge of their young child’s activities and schooling then children would likely not do anything. No kid wants to go to an activity when they could be playing with their own toys, but being enrolled in activities shows them there is more to life than play and immerses them into a routine. This is an important aspect of life and something every kid should be exposed to at early age to ensure motivation and conscience of this reality.

Dance took me to Hollywood. I received a scholarship to the Edge Performing Arts Center in March 2010 and went that summer for a week-long intensive. It was 5 days, 6 hours of dance each day all styles of dance. I met so many new people and had to adjust to new environments and teaching methods. This was a test of independence also challenged me to learn new styles and choreography methods.

Nutcracker 2011, played the role of Clara.

This year was a massive learning curve for me because I was balancing a semester of only academic classes with Nutcracker rehearsals and a regular dance schedule on top of it. There were not enough hours in the day, I actually had to skip school to make rehearsals. Time management and persistence were practised well during this year, and the pay off was incredible. I was constantly stressed, which may not have been healthy, but it was a realistic experience because life will bring those stresses.

In 2013 I played the elegant role of the Sugar Plum Fairy and Snow Queen in the production of the Nutcracker. This challenged my dance technique and forced me to spend endless hours in the studio perfecting these solo pieces. I would not settle for less than what was my best and I was constantly challenging what my best was.

Dance took me to New York City in 2013. We did a group trip in the summer and took classes at Alvin Alley, New York City Ballet, and went and watched three Broadway Shows, one being “Wicked”, and watched the New York City Ballet’s production of “Sleeping Beauty.”

We also did a lot of touring around which opened my eyes to the reality of an American lifestyle and the diversion of economic classes, as well as the historical sites they have such as the WWII museum.

Dance Videos:

MVI_4777

Other after school activities that were influential to my education

My First Communion, 2003.

I went to catechism for five years ( 6-10 years old). This was twice a week evening commitment for an hour and a half at the Catholic Church. I never really saw this as “school,” but rather a night activity. We did sit in desks and learn from a teacher, but it was very laid back. My first communion was a milestone and something I remember my parents being very proud of. Catechism is not something that severely impacted my later years, but influenced my learning in elementary public school because perspectives and behaviours from public school often clashed with what I was learning at the Catholic Church. My family was not incredibly conservative, but they knew there were many important lessons to be taken out of the catechism experience and I genuinely appreciate the fact I was enrolled. I guess I can say  I half went to Catholic school… and half experienced the conflicts of real life and this style of schooling.

Although I think are certainly negatives to public schooling, I see more positives. Being immersed in an environment that has all types of people is the best was to prepare for the real world because in your adult life you will not encounter people who believe the same things as you and look the same as you. Public school is the best thing you can do for a child, although they will likely experience negative things, it is the perfect test for their future.